84-year-old woman dies in house fire caused by oil lamp, Georgia cops say


title=

An 84-year-old woman died in a house fire that ignited while she was filling an oil lamp, Georgia police said.

An 84-year-old woman died in a house fire that ignited while she was filling an oil lamp, authorities in Georgia said.

Neighbors called 911 to report seeing smoke coming from the Buford house at around 1:15 p.m. on July 2, according to a news release from the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.

Buford is about 38 miles northeast of Atlanta.

Firefighters went to the home and found the woman, later identified as Barbara Ann Maddox, dead near the front door, the release says. Investigators believed she accidentally ignited the fire while filling an oil lamp.

The Hall County Sheriff’s Office and Hall County Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating the fire and Maddox’s death.

Madeleine List is a McClatchy National Real-Time reporter. She has reported for the Cape Cod Times and the Providence Journal.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.